Troy M. Moore, PLLC

Personal Injury, Probate, Business and Estate Planning Law



Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.


Get Started

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

Contact Troy Moore

Houston Estate Planning Lawyer

Designation Of Guardian for Minors


One of the most important issues for parents to plan for and address in estate planning is naming a guardian for their children should anything happen to the parents. This provides a level of certainty and peace of mind to parents, knowing that their children will be provided a loving home with someone they know should both parents pass unexpectedly.


At Law Office of Troy M. Moore, PLLC, we understand the importance of this decision and the emotional task parents face in naming a guardian for their children. Attorney Troy M. Moore provides compassionate and skilled representation as you seek to establish a guardianship.


Representation In Naming A Legal Guardian Of A Child


Without a named guardian, the state will decide who is granted custody and guardianship of your children, often a close relative, regardless of family dynamics. This can also be a difficult and lengthy process. While it is easy for the state to divide up material property and assets, it is much more complicated to decide upon a guardian. To avoid this lengthy time of uncertainty for your children and to ensure that they are not required to live with a family member you would not choose, it is important to ensure that a guardianship is established ahead of time to provide a seamless transition for your children.


For parents who are divorced, it is important to know that if you pass, your spouse — the children's biological parent — will be granted full custody, regardless of a guardianship that you may have set up, unless parental rights have been taken from that parent.


Our lawyers also assist in establishing trusts for your children, putting money aside to provide for them. This trust will distribute money in a responsible manner to the children until the age designated by the parent, generally 25. This ensures that your children will be financially provided for, while creating a buffer between young children and money that they are not equipped to manage. Should there be outstanding debt at the time of your death, creditors will not be able to access this trust to pay down the debt.


We understand how important it is to parents to ensure that a plan is in place to provide and care for their children should they both pass. Our attorneys will provide thorough and knowledgeable guidance in establishing all provisions needed to offer peace of mind about your children's future.


To learn more about how we can assist you in establishing a guardianship of minor children, please contact our Houston, Texas, law firm today at 281-970-8039.

Small Firm Attention,

Large Firm Results!

Law Office of Troy M. Moore, PLLC, of Houston, Texas, provides representation throughout the metro area, including Houston, Cypress, Cy-Fair, The Woodlands, Spring, Katy, Tomball, Pinehurst, Magnolia, Waller, Harris County and all of Northwest Houston and North Houston.


© Troy M. Moore.  All Rights Reserved • Disclaimer • Site Map • Privace PolicySite DesignSEO HoustonSEO by

Cyberfix Online.

12850 Jones Road, Suite 201

Houston, TX, 77070

Office (281) 970-8039

Fax 281-970-1664